Sunday, April 27, 2008

And as it began, so it continued

It rained all day Sunday. So much for my plans to drop in at the public table tennis tables and learn Cantonese. Instead I hit the books and I think I have finally worn out me electronic dictionary. It's confused. It can read my handwriting, but it can't find the characters in its dictionary...how can that be right? Straight from a perfectly respectable book. Grrr.

And I watched a lot of TV. I'm not sure if my listening is improving, but I can certainly read subtitles faster than I used to.

I have a new local restaurant (I bought an umbrella in the 7/11 next to my building). Curiously, I can get about 3 times as much food there for the same price as most of the other places around. Can't say it's inspiational food, but it's OK. They have a massive takeaway/delivery trade; I guess about 3 times as many orders were shipped out as there were diners while I was there. That means it would just about be possible to live exclusively in my flat, the train, and the school buildings. A paradigmatic 21st century existence. Add telecommuting (coming in May) and I could have a state of the art paradigm - never leave home. Curious in the middle of the most populated country in the world to think that it is nearly practical to live without seeing onyone at all.

No comments: