Saturday, January 3, 2009

More on the Botanic Gardens




This caught my eye, but I can't particularly remember for what reason. Now it just looks like a half open water lily.









This is reputedly an exemplar of the tallest tree in China - grows to 80 metres in Yunnan. That's going to be a pruning challenge in the years ahead.





I like the fact that the architects have used tree trunks as supports for the roof. It's a nice contrast with the galvanised steel girders. (behind the tree)










Cute.












This is the regional flower, but I have forgotten its latin name (must take a notebook with me next time).









Never saw a tree that wouldn't look better in a pot...actually I really like these oversized "peng zai", much more than the stereotypical Japanese ultra-small ones. It doesn't seem possible that the root system in that pot could support that tree - I wonder how long they last and how much maintenance is required?

No comments: