Monday, January 26, 2009

Jinan university

This is Jinan University. In fact, this is the main teaching building where all/most of the undergraduate classes (on this campus) are scheduled. it's too big to fit into the picture (and I couldn't be bother ed walking backwards). It actually goes up about another six storeys.

I actually gave a lecture here (as a guest speaker) on translation theory in Australia. Sadly, they didn't invite me back, but I think they have pretty strict views on academic hierarchy. If I get my Ph.D, then I can come back. It would be a nice place to work. Not a very likely one, though.


This is on campus student accommodation. I was talking to one of the students here - there are 15,000 roughly & accommodation is the big problem inhibiting growth.

Jinan University is a university anyone in the world can come to based on their native country's university entrance exams. That makes it pretty rare in China, where most of the undergraduate entrance (for international students) would be by university exam. Mind you, this particular Sunday I didn't see much sign that anybody was taking the offer up.

This could be called "paperbark drive". I don't know why the white paint, but either white paint or rope winding is very common on Chinese trees. I don't think it's related to visibility, because I've seen it on many trees that were nowhere near a road.

It's a very pretty campus. Elsewhere there are ornamental ponds with pavilions, a couple of large fountains, lawns, all that you could reasonably require. Another thing I like about the campus is that it peters out into the rest of the world towards the back - the front is an imposing us v. them, but at the other ends it's not easy to say where the university ends and the city begins.
So far as I could tell, this was not actually part of the campus (although I'm deducing that as much because I don't think academics are so well paid that they can afford to create this streetscape as from anything else). It was an absolutely perfect winter day, about 15 degrees and sunny at around midday - I actually thought Spring was coming (but the weather this week has disabused me).

It's not all hubbub.

No comments: